Is your family planning to relocate this year? It’s a good idea to begin planning as soon as you find out you’re moving.
Here are a few tips for packing that will make your job easier:
- Get packing! Tackling a few boxes each day divides an overwhelming task into achievable segments.
- As you go through your possessions, decide what you really want to take with you. You may want to donate or discard outworn clothing and other things you seldom use.
- Begin your packing with items that you don’t use often.
- Never pack hazardous or perishable items. (Link to blog posts below)
- Label boxes. List contents and room on the outside of the carton.
- Separate breakables and non-breakables.
- Clearly mark “Fragile” on the outside of cartons containing china, glassware and other breakable items.
- Wrap items in clean newsprint paper. Old newspapers may work, but use them carefully because the ink may rub off onto your items. You can obtain clean newsprint from Herlihy Moving & Storage.
- Write “Open First” on cartons containing essential items such as cooking utensils, toiletries, etc.
- Pack all cartons tightly. Fill any empty spaces with wads of clean newsprint paper to prevent shifting during transportation.
- Use professional packing tape. Masking tape isn’t strong enough to support fully packed cartons. Packing tape is available from Herlihy Moving & Storage.
Planning a move? We’re here to help! Contact us today to experience the Herlihy Moving & Storage difference. As your full-service Columbus, Ohio moving company, we offer professional packing, local and long-distance moving, Mayflower Portable Storage Containers (pods) and convenient self-storage and mini-storage units. Or, we can help with your do-it-yourself move. No job is too big or too small. Call us today for a free estimate.