Customers often ask for tips on how to keep costs down during a local move. The cost for local moves depends on the number of trucks and movers involved and the hours required for the move.
As a result, two of the easiest ways to save money are to perform some of the work yourself and to have everything prepared for the movers when they arrive. Follow these tips to save time and money on your next local move.
Performing Work Yourself
- If you are packing yourself, make sure to use sturdy boxes with four flaps and seal them with professional shipping tape (not masking tape). Use a felt-tip marker to label each box with the room to which it should be moved.
- Disassemble and reassemble furniture such as beds, cribs and dining tables that come apart for transport.
- Pack TV sets, computers, stereo components and other electronics in their original boxes if you have them. If not, ask your Herlihy moving consultant for special boxes to protect these valuable items.
- Move lamps, pictures and other small items yourself.
Preparing for Movers
- If you are packing yourself, make sure everything is packed in boxes that are clearly marked before your movers arrive.
- Make sure there’s a clear path for the movers from the residence to where the truck will park that is free of ice, snow, parked cars and other obstacles.
- Give the moving crew your full attention on the day of the move. By being available to provide direction and answer questions, you can help ensure that your move will proceed efficiently.
- Have a written plan for where you want items placed in your new residence. This will save time by enabling the moving crew to place each item where it belongs when they bring it into the house.
- Disconnect and dismount any television sets, computers or other electronics that your movers will be transporting.
- You may choose to have the moving company handle only your large pieces of furniture such as dressers, china cabinets and entertainment centers. If so, make sure to remove knick-knacks, books, DVDs and other contents before the moving crew arrives. Other than lightweight clothing in dresser drawers, everything should be removed and packed separately. See our blog post on moving furniture with drawers for more details.
- Disconnect the washer and dryer if you’re moving them. We recommend that you have these items serviced before moving. Front-loading washing machines must be stabilized before moving.
- Keep pets and small children out of the way, both for their safety and to save time.
- Avoid having any other contractors working at the same time as the move.
These tips should put you on your way to a stress-free, economical local move. If you have any questions about packing or moving, please contact us today. We’re here to help!